How can we encourage adolescents to follow healthy behaviors? Any ideas for parents, healthcare providers, health educators, media, society, etc
Being a Health Studies major I was floored when I learned that Health was no longer a state requirement to graduate high school. State officials decided to increase the number of electives from 3.5 to 6 courses, and allow students the choice of studying other areas. As a high school student I am sure I would not have taken Health class if I was offered a choice. It is still the ultimate decision of the individual school districts if they will offer health classes. For most children this class is the only open communication line regarding sexual education and making healthy nutrition and exercise choices. Ideally health education should start in the home, but as a reality many parents are not educated themselves to offer advise to their children. I think that everyone should encourage their child to choose Health as an elective and still supplement what is being taught by the schools with your own beliefs and experiences.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Zhancock,
ReplyDeleteI am in agreement with you, I believe that health classes should be a requirement for graduation. I was fortunate to have parents that educated me on sex and my body, taught me how to prepare and eat healthy meals and exercise, but I know that is not the norm.
I knew many girls who mother didn't even explain their menstrual cycle and how their body would changed and boys who grew up without a father to explain the changes that occur during adolescent. A good health education is just as necessary as the other basics.
Wow, I had not heard this before. I am amazed with all the health initiates being presented and the amount of research that has proven how important it is for children and young adult to be educated about health that they would not require it as an elective. Sometimes it seem like we are taking steps backwards at the same time we are trying to go forward. I will encourage my girls and everyone I know to have their teenagers take this course it high school, I think it is very important.
ReplyDeleteHi, Zipporah.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post. I, too, am surprised that our educational system no longer requires Health as a requirement to graduate high school. This is even more alarming when we look at the incidence of childhood obesity, drug and alcohol use, teenage pregnancies and STDs among the increasingly younger adolescents. Instead of eliminating this requirement, I believe Health should be a requirement, starting at a much earlier level in the public education system. So many children and adolescents don't have strong support systems at home, and sadly, these children tend to be the ones who spend too much time watching TV, playing video games, and eating whatever fast food is available. While I still believe it is ultimately the responsibility of the family to educate their children and teach healthy habits, this doesn't always happen, and our public schools can do a better job of addressing an increasinly unhealthy population. Let's keep the Health classes in schools!
Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Carol Martin
wow! i had no idea as to this happened. I think health classes should be a requirement for graduation.I mean how would a person be if he/she didn't have much idea on human health? There must be students who have a keen interest in learning about health rather than something that they can't figure out. i think if i were one of them, id be traumatized because since high school i was interested in health and will always be.
ReplyDelete