Saturday, September 26, 2009
The Talk
I have actually had The Talk with my teenagers a few years ago at age 12. At that time I did not really have a written agenda to go over with them. I began the conversation by asking them what they knew about sex. Of course, it was followed my moans from them. However, as the conversation built we chipped away at a few at key points and our primary views as parents on sex. They sat and listened and really did not ask too many questions at that point. We don’t have an annual meeting time, but every so often we will see an article or a something on television that will spark a conversation and try to keep our talks light, but pretty detailed. I cannot count how many times we have gone over HPV statistics and genital wart images from my health books and Google. As a parent they know that I talk openly, but it is a constant effort to get them to do the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's interesting to hear how "the talk" went with your children. It's so important to keep the lines of communication open and on going. Although I do not have children yet, I'm so thankful to have learned so much in this module. Being a parent is going to throw many challenges my way and I'm glad that I feel confident now that I will be able to guide, support, and educate my children on the subject of sex and sexual health.
ReplyDelete