Saturday, October 3, 2009

Family Interview

I choose to interview my sister-in-law who choose to have a partial hysterectomy at age 34. She is unmarried and no children. She based her decision on medical diagnosis of Fibroids. The doctors gave her the options of removal of the fibroids and try to save her uterus for future children. She decided against this due to her lack of wanting any children. She took the outlook that if she were to marry in the future, she and her spouse would adopt. After four years she has no regrets in her decision, and still has no marriage prospects.
I can respect her decision due to her current age and the risks associated with having children after age 40. However, at age 34 I would have not chosen a hysterectomy. Having already had children I know how much of a blessing children can be. I believe my desire for a family would have outweighed the health risks.

2 comments:

  1. Wow this is a simple yet, a pleasant way of expressing your views with regards to giving a genuine gesture towards your family member. It is actually surprising and in fact brave of your sister in law to undergo hysterectomy at such a young age. I understand that it would be difficult in even thinking of undergoing a procedure like that that would prevent one from having children, but there are scenarios in which one can do nothing but deal with it. I’m certain that the visual aspects of women is completely different to that of men, therefore I respect as to what you believe. But I think I would not actually mind if my wife had to undergo this procedure, even though I didn’t have kids and in spite of the fact that I love kids, as long as I had her all fit and fine. This is my opinion and there is a maximum chance in which opinions may vary from person to person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you…. I would have chosen to save my uterus instead of the partial removal. Even though I mentioned in my blog the desire of not wanting children at the moment this doesn’t mean that I don’t want children at all so, if its within my power I would do anything to make this possible in the future. Regardless, I respect everyone’s decision and I think she probably wanted to avoid more problems with her condition but still has the option to adopt or who knows maybe hire a surrogate mother!

    ReplyDelete