What can a woman do to reduce her risk of assault?
Having a 17 year old daughter that will be leaving for college in the next couple of years this subject has been a constant thought on my mind. I have stressed to her repeatedly the importance of not getting caught up in the pressure of under age drinking and illegal drug use. As the text states this is an important factor in reducing the risks of date rape. Being aware of your surroundings is important in many situations. Something as simple as a shopping trip to the mall or getting off of work late is a reason to have your senses on alert.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are so right many women that get off of work late do not pay attention enough to their surroundings. I have been guilty of this as well. Thanks for your comment.
ReplyDeleteHi Zipporah,
ReplyDeleteYou are doing the right thing by informing your daughter of the hazards of drinking and dating. I was in the military at the age of 18 and I remember well the amount of liquor that was available. The best thing that saved me from a lot of uncomfortable situations was the fact that I didn't drink while I was out on dates or out dancing in nightclubs. A clear head can better ascertain unsafe conditions and navigate through them without creating tense moments.
Thanks for having the courage to be a great mom.
Vikki D. Littleton
As I mother, I understand why you are worried about your daughter’s safety. College can be difficult transitions for some while others see it as a sense of “liberation.” I am glad you take the time to communicate with your daughter about all the serious risks associated with being away from home. I advise you to not only share all the risks of assault, but I also encourage you to talk to her about ways to stay safe. Provide her with pepper stray, flash lights, whistles, etc. Help her feel comfortable being on her own.
ReplyDeleteMonica L.