Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hormone replacement therapy

Interview a woman who has or is going through menopause and has decided to take hormones. Allow her to share with you the reasons she has chosen to take them and how she feels it is beneficial for her health

I chose to interview my 55 year-old cousin. She started experiencing menopausal symptoms at age 48, and currently has stopped experiencing menstrual symptoms. She stated she experienced constant hot flashes, night sweats and severe depression. She stated that the depression was her primary reason for starting the hormone replacement therapy. Initially she did not think that her depression was related to menopause, and did not want to mention it to her doctor. She actually did not want any medication for any symptoms, and thought that she could withstand the hot flashes. After several months of mood swings she finally consulted her Dr. initially prescribed an estrogen only pill .Her Dr. explained that the estrogen helped reduce the risk of colon cancer which was a concern of hers as she got older.

2 comments:

  1. You should tell your cousin to never be afraid to talk to her doctor in the future. The doctors must know the whole story as far as whats going on with you in order to help. It's good that the pill was able to help with the menopausal symptoms and with the reduction of colon cancer. I'm sure she feels a lot better and is able to deal with everyday life better.

    Samisha Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was very insightful, I thought it was interesting that she started experiencing menopausal symptoms at 48 and just now stopped having a period. Before now I didn't know that was a common experience. I believe it is beneficial for women to speak with their doctors and discuss a treatment specifically for them, this is the only way to get what they need.

    Suzanne Kubelka

    ReplyDelete